Saturday, September 22, 2018

Birthday and Bashes



In two days, I will have been in Asheville for a month. Orientation feels like forever ago. Being home feels like a lifetime ago. But here I am, making a new home in Asheville.

It's been busy at my placement. Last Thursday we had our fall fundraiser. All I worked on at work the first two weeks I was there was preparation for the big event. Spreadsheets were made, flyers were printed, cut, and handed out; lists were made and checked. The day came and went with few bumps in the road.

The theme was NIGHT CIRCUS. We had student performers doing drag and acrobats on the Lyra (the loop for people to get up on, swing around, and climb all over). There was raffle, silent auction, games, a Photo Booth, and of course food. I enjoyed myself. I met some of Youth OUTright's supporters and board members. I felt it was a success and was rightfully drained afterward.
Earlier that week it was my birthday. My roommates were wonderful and made a sign for my door and a funny card. I got the day off work (both directors needed to work out of the office that day) and I treated myself. I got donuts in the morning, Moe's birthday burrito for lunch, and ended the day with dinner and a movie at Asheville Pizza and Brewing Company. My housemates and I watched Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom while consuming wonderful food. All for under $15! My present that I asked from my mother was ingredients to make key lime pie, so that was my "cake" for the night. I felt it was the best birthday yet.

                                   
One month down, ten more to go. This beginning has been tough, as all new beginnings are. I have hope though that my community and I will keep building closer and stronger relationships with each other throughout the rest of the year. We all care about each other, and we only met five weeks ago! I can't wait to care for these people for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If only I had my papyrus

 Today we woke up on our cruise. We had landed at Kom Ombo! Breakfast was pastries, sausage, and tea. We left the cruise at 7am. Having neve...