Saturday, October 20, 2018

Perfer et Obdura; Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim

This year is a struggle for many if not all Volunteers. It's especially hard for those who have a mental illness. Those like me.

I suffer from anxiety and depression and this past week has been tough. I've had several crying sessions. I have been glued to my bed with depression. Anxiety has whispered and told me lies. It's been hard. It's not recommended to changed medications throughout the YAV year, but here I am, about to start new medication.

Through these times, it's hard to get out of the present. But what keeps me going is that I always have something to look forward to. God has blessed me with friends, family, and opportunities. Like with Job, God took away everything. Job stayed strong and knew better things were coming. Jesus also suffered, but had something better to look forward to.

I am blessed to have so many people support me in my journey with mental illness. Whenever I "can't" or I feel like giving up, friends and family (and now my Volunteer family) come in and help me however they can. I am blessed that even though my anxiety and depression tell me so, I AM NOT ALONE. There are others out there who face the same/similar challenges and there are people who love me and want the best for me

When I was diagnosed with depression three years ago this month, I found life hard. Impossible. But then I found a quote that I now live by.
Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim.
It translates to "Suffer and endure; one day this sadness will be useful to you." It's from Ovid (I really love Latin). This quote reminds me that no matter the lows I go through, God has so many blessings lined up ahead of me. I just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

This video is a song from the Broadway musical Dear Evan Hansen. This is one of the songs I listen to, to lift my spirit and combat the darkness crashing through.
One of my anxieties this year is talking about money. I still need to raise money for my year. If you can, please donate by clicking on this link https://www.handsandfeetavl.org/donate. If you do an online donation, don't forget to put my name so they know whose account to put it in.

1 comment:

  1. As cheerful as I often am, I also have struggled with anxiety, depression, and mental struggles. This has gone on for years, and it was especially bad in early high school, but it has gradually gotten better over the years. I think I understand your pain, and as you already know, you are not alone! I commend you for your willingness to talk about it--indeed, talking about my struggles with trustworthy people has helped me in times past.

    Your brother in Christ,
    Matthew

    ReplyDelete

If only I had my papyrus

 Today we woke up on our cruise. We had landed at Kom Ombo! Breakfast was pastries, sausage, and tea. We left the cruise at 7am. Having neve...