Friday, August 16, 2019

From South to North, From East to West

Just a small town girl
Living in a lonely world
She took the midnight train
Going anywhere...
Journey “Don’t Stop Believin’”

The past 48 hours have been a whirlwind, but I’m finally rested enough to catch up on my journey. I’m going to start where I left off with the trains to Edinburgh and hope I don’t overwhelm this next story with details galore. 

As the song lyrics suggested, I took the midnight train, this one to Edinburgh. I saw the sunrise over the English countryside and had breakfast in a First Class car (that was the cheapest option!). I also met a Sara(h) from Auckland, New Zealand who was moving her whole life to Aberdeen in two suitcases. We chatted for a bit and dozed on and off throughout our journey. When I got to Edinburgh, I had a bed waiting for me in my hostel. I passed out for 2 hours after showering and changing out of my 48 hour outfit. 

I could’ve slept longer, but I didn’t want to miss my day in the city. And what a day it was. I went on a free walking tour around the city. Learned the history of the city, history of Presbyterianism, and history of words and phrases (“tripping the alarm”, “loo”, “s***faced”). Our guide was funny and informative and helped out us Potter fans to sites of JK Rowling’s inspiration. I took pictures of gravestones with famous last names from the books. I passed and quickly snapped a photo of The Elephant House, where Rowling wrote the first two books.

On the tour I met Rasa, a lawyer on holiday from Lithuania. She suggested we go eat, and since I wanted an authentic Scottish experience, we went to a recommended restaurant and ate haggis. She was fine with it; it reminded her of home. I had to get matter over mind. It was spicy as in lots of flavors. I did have it over bacon and onion mash with carrots/pumpkin/something orange on top (which I was not a fan of). I ate it all, but it took longer than I normally do. It was unexpected, wasn’t how I thought it would look, which I feel helped its case in matter over mind. Either way, I do feel I need to try it somewhere else and get a second opinion. I’m staying open

While in Edinburgh, the LARGEST ARTS FESTIVAL IN THE WORLD was happening. It’s called the Fringe and there were performances all over the city. Rasa and I were handed so many flyers, but there was so much going on we were overwhelmed. We found a comedy show and that started our night of laughter. We belly-laughed at Angus Dunican, chuckled at Emily Woods, and had fun with Thaniya Moore and Sian Davies. These were all FREE shows, but they asked for money at the end because people gotta eat. I tipped what I could, but having limited cash, I don’t believe I gave them what they were worth. I saw some interesting performances (one about Ursula from Little Mermaid and the other Doctor Who themed), but they were out of the way and expensive. It’s an amazing experience and I believe I would have enjoyed it if I stayed longer in Edinburgh.

I went back to the hostel, packed, and passed out after a long day, finally getting a full night’s sleep. I still woke up at dawn to catch the 7 o’clock train to Alnmouth so I could get to Alnwick and go to the castle. I arrived in Alnmouth at 8 and wandered around the village. I put my foot in the Atlantic on the East coast of England while it was raining. It was serene. Nothing opened until 10, so I wandered around enjoying the silence and internally monologuing. I took the bus, stored my pack at a shop, and headed over to Alnwick Castle. 

I could go on and on about this castle. It was amazing. But first let’s correct something before we go on, something I didn’t correct until this morning. It’s pronounced “All-nick” not “Aln-wick”. No idea, didn’t ask why, English is strange. This castle has been around since 1096 and the currently family has lived there for over 700 years. It was strange to see modern photos of family interspersed with paintings from the 15th through 19th centuries. It’s been in shows and movies: Hogwarts in the first two HP movies, Brancaster Castle in Downton Abbey, along with Robin Hood with Kevin Costner and a Transformers movie. I didn’t get to see the gardens, but the current duchess started her own “Poison Garden” where everything that grows in it will kill or harm humans. I went to the Castle only and wish I could’ve seen more. 

I grabbed a train to Burnley and met my childhood friend Jess and her fiancé Liam at the train station. We swung in and out of the store for some items and headed home for tea (dinner/supper). We ate and laughed. Jessica and I went for a walk around the area and came back and played games. We chatted and have been catching up since the last we saw each other. It’s been great and now it’s time for sleep. Will update in a few days before I leave for Ireland on Monday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If only I had my papyrus

 Today we woke up on our cruise. We had landed at Kom Ombo! Breakfast was pastries, sausage, and tea. We left the cruise at 7am. Having neve...