Saturday, February 10, 2024

If only I had my papyrus





 Today we woke up on our cruise. We had landed at Kom Ombo! Breakfast was pastries, sausage, and tea. We left the cruise at 7am. Having never been on a cruise before, they gave us a card for counting purposes. We passed through a market before arriving at the temple.

Kom Ombo is dedicated to Horus and Sobek. It was split into two, one half for each god. We got to see the story of Horus again. We read the cartouche of Cleopatra. Colors were still present at the top of the temple! We learned about the whispering rooms, where people would come to pray and priests would hide in the wall and answer as the god. We saw hieroglyphs depicting surgical instruments. There was an area that Heba described how they mummified crocodiles there! The museum afterwards had about a dozen mummified crocs of different sizes! Even eggs! Such a cool place and I’d love to see it again from a different TD’s point of view. We stopped by the market where I haggled (well Heba did) for a galabeya. It’s blue with long sleeves. There’s embroidery on the front of sunflowers  I paid $15 for it. Wearing it later, I found out one sleeve is smaller/tighter than the other. I’ll have to remedy that at home .

We spent the rest of the day on the boat. I napped in the morning because it was too windy up top. We had lunch. After lunch the boat stopped for some to get off and explore. I was on the top, listening to an audiobook and playing sudoku. I took some videos and pictures of us cruising the Nile. Sarah and I reenacted the Titanic pose; she made a TikTok with the music! I drank some wine and had them figure out a mojito. Whoops. I thought that would’ve been an easy drink. Both were $15 total.

I napped before dinner, which I had chicken, fish, eggplant, and cous cous. It was Meg’s birthday so we sang and ate cake. It was a fun experience. After dinner, we headed up to the lounge for the galabeya party. We danced with the crew, conga style then in a circle. There was a raffle. Since Sarah wasn’t there, I DANCED for her prize: a cheap Egypt wallet with a laminated calendar inside with Jesus on it. We laughed so hard when I found that. We took a group picture and danced some more. There was a photographer who took our pictures individually and as a couple.

Tomorrow is the big day: The Valley of the Kings!


No comments:

Post a Comment

If only I had my papyrus

 Today we woke up on our cruise. We had landed at Kom Ombo! Breakfast was pastries, sausage, and tea. We left the cruise at 7am. Having neve...