Wednesday, February 7, 2024

I’m sphinxing about Egypt

 Today was the first official day of the Egypt trip. I roomed with Anne Marie in Giza; we didn’t get here until 1 am. We had boxed dinners waiting for us: 2 cheese sandwiches, apple and banana, olives, and a coke. The cheese sandwiches were like Olive Garden breadsticks cut in half with a few slices of cheese. We were hoping for extra pizza, but we were tired and couldn’t deal finding the room and fighting for a slice.

We had breakfast where all of us Morocco crew reunited. It got loud and joyful. So many hugs. I finally saw Jessie for the first time in forever (or 6 years). She scarfed some food down and we got on the bus. Heba introduced herself and I fell in love with her motherly nature. We drove to the pyramids while she told us about the history. It was really interesting, but too long (and too long since) to write everything down.

The pyramids were visible from our hotel! We pulled up and gathered around. All but 5 of us chose to go inside the pyramid. They crouched down stairs, went into an antechamber, more stairs, and a final room. Then they took the same way out. I’m tall and not doing that. Also there’s nothing there. No hieroglyphs. No sarcophagus. It’s empty. And hot and musty. Doesn’t seem enjoyable. 

We all took a group picture before they split off. Non pyramid crew took pictures with the stones, showing off their size. We walked around the entire pyramid, taking it all in. Peddlers tried to sell us things and get us to ride camels but LELELELELELE. (No) we got back on the bus with everyone and went higher up to see the smaller pyramids. They’re amazing in person. The bigger two have the same angles, down to the minutes. Just copy and paste.

Once at the top, a group went on a camel ride to take pictures on them in front of the pyramid. I was the no camel group. I rode in the Sahara in Morocco for a lot longer. So instead we took pictures “holding” the pyramids. They were fun! When everyone got back, we jumped on the bus for the Sphinx. 

The Sphinx is down in a valley; you can’t see it from the pyramids but you can see the pyramids from the Sphinx. We learned about the mummification temple right before we went to see it. How it’s made of alabaster floors, granite outer walls, and limestone inner walls. We learned more details of the process that we might have forgotten. Finally we went through and saw the mighty Sphinx! It met my expectations; some thought it was going to be smaller, some bigger. I imagined it exactly that size. We took pictures with it, some capturing the pyramids in the background. I became the “kissing” photographer because I could squat in the right position and get pictures of people kissing the Sphinx. I did that for 3 people, including a stranger. My knees were not happy. 

We stopped by a market for snacks on the way to the papyrus institute. I got wafers, date newton (like fig newtons) and some canned pineapple drink with real chunks. The guy tried and succeeded to overcharge me, but our guard saw him doing that and stopped him. I had given the cashier 2 50lb notes for my snacks. The guard opened my bag, argued with the cashier, took one 50 back for me, and pushed me out of the market. I was so grateful. The conversion rate at this time is 30/1. 30 e£ to $1

We went to the papyrus store and learned about the plant and how the papyrus is made. It takes weeks to make a sheet. It rolls up without cracking. It’s waterproof. The outer layer was used to make shoes and even Moses’ basket. They showed us this cool art that had glow in the dark art, some completely different than what was seen in normal light! They let us loose in the store. I wandered around looking at different art. I purposely have e£ so I don’t spend more money like in Morocco. Jo even found me to keep me accountable. In the end, I haggled and got a small map of Egypt (that may glow in the dark. I don’t remember) and two book marks with names in hieroglyphs on it. All together 1500. I charged my card (because the big bills were on the bus) and I got a text that it cost me $48.66! The two bookmarks are for me and Nona. I win at gifts. Again. 

Then we came back to the hotel to nap. We went to our welcome dinner and had so much good food. Baba ganoush, Cole slaw, beans, beets (which I didn’t eat), potatoes, and pita bread. Then we received meatballs, fries (pomme frites), and stuffed grape leaves. Then our actual food came and it was half a chicken. It was cooked over an open fire and was so good!! For dessert we had milk pudding. It was like warm rice pudding without the rice and with some broil on top. I got a silly picture with everyone’s bowl from our side of the table since I had finished mine and was going to finish Jessie’s and Sarah’s. We made a schtick for me to have EVERYONE’s bowl in front of me. 

Now I’m in bed, packed for tomorrow because we leave at 3am for the airport. Time for some sleep. Maybe tomorrow I’ll catch up on my Tuesday Frankfurt journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If only I had my papyrus

 Today we woke up on our cruise. We had landed at Kom Ombo! Breakfast was pastries, sausage, and tea. We left the cruise at 7am. Having neve...